Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hawking On Heaven: Fairy Tale

Stephen Hawking, a noted mathematician who has headed the same post for 30 years at Cambridge University as did Sir Isaac Newton, is now Director of Research at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology at Cambridge. Recently this distinguished mathematician, physicist, Professor, and Department Chair, who is suffering from Lou Gehrig’s disease, told the UK Guardian in an interview:





"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or after life for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

Professor Hawking believes that God does not exist. For one so physically handicapped, it is perhaps understandable that he does not believe in God, and sees no evidence of Him in the Universe.

Yet, imagine one of mankind’s most heralded and brightest scientists, who specializes in Cosmology, failing to see any evidence of God in the Universe. It boggles the mind, really. This is a man whose insight into the diversity of life and complexity of Creation has few peers, yet in all of nature’s wonder, he does not see nature’s God.

How pitiful.

MENSA is not knocking on my door, yet it is easy for me to see the Hand of God moving in all of our lives every day. He is everywhere present. When I quiet myself and go within myself, the Spirit of God is there to greet me; encourage me, inspire me, inform me, educate me, and sustain me: bringing hope when there is despair, strength when I am winded, direction when I am confused, even health when I am sick.

My god is an awesome God.

For a man so physically confined as Dr. Hawking is now, without the distractions of a physically active life, one would think it would be easy for an intellect so great to find the Spirit of God that dwells within every living soul; dwelling in his own.

How ironic it is, that a man who has devoted his life to understanding the manifestation of the physical universe in all its majesty, should have so little insight into his own existence. For those who follow Dr. Hawking and believe his opinions carry some gravitas, it is clearly a case of the blind leading the blind.

Dr. Hawking, you cannot understand the nature of nature without understanding your own. You, more than other men, should understand that you are a spiritual being first: a physical man second.

Once you commanded my respect and admiration. Today you have won my pity and my prayers. When your computer ceases to function and your physical restraints are unfettered, come visit me. You will discover a whole new realm of nature to explore, as your consciousness will survive your passing, and your personality will find a new expression of life to explore.

Then come, visit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment